Department B: MIDWEST STEER AND HEIFER LIVE AND CARCASS CONTEST
Superintendent: Superintendent: Kaiden Finley 507-318-0198, Paul Schaefer 507-440-8023,
and Karter Jax 507-438-0049
Class 1 – Colored Steers Class 3 – Dairy Steers
Class 2 – Colored Heifers
- Entry Fee:$25 per head (must accompany entry)
- Limit of 100 entries for steers, 50 for heifers and 60 for dairy steers.
- Entry Time: Tuesday 9 am – 2:30 pm(or until quota is filled)
- Weight limit 1500# for all classes. The packer has the authority to send back to you (at your expense) any cattle exceeding the weight limit. The carcass should not exceed 950#.
- Water and bedding will be provided.
- Ownership of animals will remain the property of theexhibitor until delivered to the plant.
- Any animal disqualified from the live show will not be eligible for the carcass contest.
- Judging Tuesday, 6:00 pm
- ALL PARTICIPANTS NEED TO BE BQA CERTIFIED. CERTIFICATE NEEDS TO BE ON FILE IN THE OFFICE OR YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHOW.
It will be based on estimated carcass desirability.
- Any animal in live show will be in carcass contest
- U.S. Graders will grade the animals and forward these grades to the Mower County Fair together with the carcass weight, fat thickness, rib-eye and an estimate of kidney, pelvic and heart fat. Carcass will be placed based on grClass 1 1st$2502nd$1503rd $1004th $705th $ 50
6th$40 7th $308th$ 259th $2010th $15id information and data.
- PRICE; The dressed beef market of the plant will serve as a basis for pricing all entries. The Market of Wednesday of Fair Week, will be used.
Premiums Live and Carcass contest
Class 1: 1st - $250, 2nd - $150, 3rd - $100, 4th - $70, 5th - $50, 6th - $40, 7th - $30, 8th - $25, 9th - $20, 10th - $15
Class 2: 1st - $125, 2nd - 75, 3rd - $50, 4th - $40, 5th - $25, 6th -$20, 7th - $10
Class 3 1st - $165, 2nd - $100, 3rd - $65, 4th - $45, 5th - $35, 6th - $25, 7th - $20, 8th -$15, 9th - $13, 10th - $10
SPECIAL AWARDS: The Mower County Cattleman’s Association will provide the following awards:
- A Trophy and $25 cash award to the highest placing steer, heifer and dairy steer entered by a Mower County Cattle Association Member in live and carcass contest.
- A trophy to the owner of the Champion and Reserve Champion steer, heifer and dairy steer in the live and Carcass division.